Thursday, December 16, 2010

No shoes. No shirt. No Garments. No service!

Darryll Drage, owner of Brusworks Gallery & Framing, always jokes when I'm there by saying, "We don't look at the art!"   I now see why...  I recently experienced an event that spoke to that rule, or at least it should have.

About a month ago I did a boudoir-style shoot for a client involving fancy cars and fancy outfits, with the goal of creating a calendar for her husband.  I designed the calendar and printed it on 13x19 paper.  When I went to get it spiral/coil bound, I found that the 19" length now caused an issue.  No one, it seems, had a punch capable of doing the 19" length.  My bad. 

I searched all day and finally found a bindery with the right equipment, Print Finishing Specialties had one.  I called and rushed it over, as I have a deadline of Friday for delivery.  I spoke to Tracy, the front end receptionist.  I showed her the calendar, what direction it should be bound, etc... etc... etc....  Everything was A-OK, including the fact that I would be charged the minimum fee of $40.  I said fine, "Let's just get it done!"

A few hours later, I received a call from Kyle Jones, the owner of the bindery.  He said to me, "I'm sorry but we won't be able to bind your calendar."  I quietly replied, "Why?"  He continued, "It's the subject matter!"  I replied, "ummmmm...excuse me, but what did you say? What do you mean?"  The conversation continued, I'm not sure what was discussed as I was LIVID.  I do recall saying, "There's a cover on it, just put the holes in and bind it.  Don't look at it!"    "I'm sorry, we cant do that..." he replied with.

I have to point out that there is absolutely no nudity in the calendar... Not a single "bit" of out-of-place flesh.  No exposed cooch or nips or a single bit of pubic hair.  NONE.  It's at most rated PG- 13.  And, BTW she is a consenting adult.

I rushed right over!!!  I waited for roughly 10 minutes while Kyle finished a phone call.  The calendar was gruffly returned to me.   I said,  "I need to speak to you. I need some answers!"   Kyle replied, "I don't feel as though I need to explain myself."   I said, "You do! You REALLY do!"  I hounded a bit more.  He finally said that he could not bind it because he has a 14 year old son who has spent an year and a half in REHAB!   "Rehab?" I said, "What do you mean REHAB?  Ummmm...for what?"  It seems he has had an ADDICTION to pornography!!!   OMG!!!!!!!!!!   Addiction????  What does that entail!!!????

Last time I checked, porn wasn't an addictive substance... like coke, heroin, nicotine.  It seems to me it is more an oppressive act to impose a morality (on his son, on me and my client).  Can you imagine what that REHAB was like?  I have visions of a bunch of confused and horny 14 year olds in a room being told how they are sick.  How their behavior is wrong!  Hell, I can even visualize a dirty old man telling them to take out their penises and put them on the table, where he would then whack them with his little blue Book of Mormon while yelling  "You are a bad penis!  Bad, bad penis.  Stay where you belong, in your pants,until you are ready to make babies!"

The conversation continued, "Does your son work here?" Answer, "NO."  Question, "Is he here?" Answer, "NO."  Question, "So what is the problem?"  At which point, I mention that his wife, Tracy is the front end person...the person who accepted the job.  She didn't seem to have a problem with it.   Honestly, if the material I turn in is considered "illegal"... fine... call the cops.   If it's not, don't judge me or anyone else.  Simple...   Who does he think he is?  At this point, I'm guessing he's the one with the problem, not his son.   So be it!



Interestingly enough, yesterday, just by chance, I happened to pick up my 9yr old son from religious school at the synagogue (Please do keep in mind I'm about as atheist and secular as it gets...).  While in the hallway, I overheard a conversation going on in a classroom.   It was the new rabbi speaking to the older kids (I'm guessing the 14-16 year olds).   It was a really open and frank discussion regarding sexuality in the eyes of Judaism.  It turns out, In Judaism, you are an adult at 13... with all the responsibilities of adulthood... and sexuality.  I think this dufus would benefit from sitting through the class.   Can you imagine how tweaked his poor kid is going to end up?  Like the poor gay kids going to Gay Rehab...  Pack it down deep.  Repress!!! Repress!!!

  
So, remember, when in Utah... remember the following motto:  No shoes.  No shirt.  No Garments.  No service!



BTW. If Kyle and/or Tracy happen to read this, keep in mind I have the 1st amendment behind me.  You can censor me in your business, but not out here in the real world.   Good luck to your son!

No comments:

Post a Comment